So much to my surprise, we had seedlings sprout already. So Mr. J and I got the growing space set up today. Before I show the pictures of the growing space, I must point out that the main part of our house was built in 1916 and our basement is more properly a cellar. It is dark and dusty and not quite 6 feet deep. We also have major home renovations going on so things are a bit chaotic down there.
Remember in my last post about getting this set up I mentioned that we had decided to go with the fixture that would function the best, not the ones that looked the best. So here we have a four foot long four tube fluorescent light fixture of the kind that is designed to go in a drop ceiling. Mr J decided that it was easiest to wire an old extension cord to the fixture (one that had an unfortunate meeting with the lawn mower blades), so that’s the yellow cord with the splice in it because it was a bit too long. We are using two cool white tubes and two warm white tubes to give the plants as full a spectrum as possible. The table was in the basement when we moved in, I believe.
My seedlings are a little spindly right now because they sprouted before the growing space was set up and they were very far from the light source. The information that we read suggested that the seedling be no more than 4 inches from the light source at any point during their indoor growing so hopefully that will correct the spindly problem.
I have more to say about the grow space and the garden but it’s time to put the kids to bed for the night so I’m signing off for now.